Will I still have student status as a Language Assistant in France?

I have been very confused about whether one still has student status (i.e. can claim for CAF as a student etc) when working as a language assistant in France as part of a university year abroad? I know, for example, that in Lyon I am not allowed to get a student travel card as you have to be enrolled at a university in Lyon, and not just a student on a year abroad. Of course I could just enrol and then not go but it stays on the system in France forever, so if I ever want to work there this could cause some problems. Please help! Thanks xx

This question was asked on 11th August 2014 and has been read 1636 times.

  • King's College London Study Abroad Office · 6 years ago

    Hello there,

    I'll put my hand up and say I don't know that for sure, though you'll still be considered a student here in the UK. Assuming you're going through the British Council's English Language Assistantship scheme, why don't you ask the British Council themselves? They'll have a France expert in the ELA team (think it's Elizabeth Lynch these days after Daniel Lovelock moved on) who should be able to clarify this sort of thing for you (and indeed for all ELA students heading to France).

    Kind regards,


  • Joachim Whaley · 6 years ago

    As long as you are still registered as a student at your home university you will continue to have student status.

  • Joachim Whaley · 6 years ago

    I forgot to add: ask your home university to provide you with a certificate confirming your student status. You never know when such a letter might be useful. But make sure you get them to sign and stamp it - European bureaucrats love official stamps!

  • Prof. Mike Kelly · 6 years ago

    If you want to be a Student, with a capital S, in France, you will need to be registered at a French university. This will then get you a student card and access to the various services and discounts that come with Student status. If you can't do this, it's certainly worth having UK documents that you can produce, but they may not cut much ice in practice, especially for discounts and specialist services.

If you would like to contribute to this question, please login or register.