What's better to do first - accommodation or bank account?

Which one shall I organise first when I arrive because wouldn't I need a French address to open a bank account but also a bank account to pay the deposit on a flat? Help please! :)

This question was asked by Katie Spicer from Aberystwyth University , asked on 9th August 2014 and has been read 1966 times.

  • Joachim Whaley · 8 years ago

    Ideally, you'd get on with arranging both as soon as possible but you might need to use your UK cash card to get money from a bank machine for a deposit or take cash with you from the UK. Obviously using the card is safer!

  • Lauren Stevens · 8 years ago

    I think there's only so much you can do until you actually arrive. Depending on your bank, the commission isn't always so bad to take money out of a cash machine using an English card, and I paid my deposit and first month's rent doing that. Once you get there, find a hotel if you haven't got accommodation already and I would suggest focusing on getting a bank account. Finding accommodation often depends on knowing the right people and that may take time. Sorting out my residency and bank was the most stressful part for me.

    Through being given the contact details of a friend of a friend of one of my English language assistant predecessors in Melilla in Spain, I was lucky enough to be able organise accommodation before arriving. I was careful and asked for some photos of the flat beforehand and had several conversations with my future house mate. From seeing the photos and speaking to her, I felt like I would be happy living there. It's not always easy, reliable or cheap to find a place to live online, especially in a small place like Melilla. As Melilla is so small, information isn't always posted online and news is often spread by word of mouth, so it's worth asking around. It may be easier to just book a hotel. Its not the end of the world if you have to live there for a few days and chances are someone who you meet will know someone looking for a flat mate. If not, try the student residence.

If you would like to contribute to this question, please login or register.