What is assurance habitation and where can I get it?

Hi there. Thanks for reading. I'm studying in France for a month during the summer on a language course, and am in the process of finding accomodation. I'm applying through CROUS and it's necessary that I have une attestation d'assurance habitation, which I think translates as house or contents insurance. I was wondering where I could get this type of insurance as I have no clue where to start. Thank you

This question was asked by Christopher Bloxham from The University of East Anglia , asked on 6th May 2015 and has been read 2959 times.

  • Louise Wiseman · 7 years ago


    yep it's housing and contents insurance. French landlords/property owners tend not to give over the keys or let you sign the lease until you prove you have this insurance. When I lived in France I used AXA, they were fairly cheap but more importantly they were the only ones who let me pay with a UK bank card as I didn't have a French bank account. I did have to do it on the phone but they have English speaking staff too. Hope that helps!

If you would like to contribute to this question, please login or register.