What do I do if I have an accident abroad?

I am the kind of person who likes to plan for the worst case scenario (as I'm pretty accident prone!) and I'm really worried about having an accident abroad. Does anyone have any advice on how to minimise stress when this happens?

This question was asked on 11th August 2014 and has been read 2436 times.

  • Joachim Whaley · 8 years ago

    Plan ahead to avoid accidents or cope better with their consequences. If you are going to Europe, make sure that you have your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This is available free online from the relevant government web page (make sure you choose a gov.uk page rather than one which says it will get you a card for a fee). For Europe or anywhere else, make sure you have adequate insurance cover. Your family insurance cover might be extended to cover you abroad but there are plenty of insurance brokers who will arrange something suitable for you. Make sure you have an emergency number (ICE) entered on your mobile phone; have an ICE but find out what that is in the language area you are travelling to and enter a second local number (your landlord, employer, school, university...). If you are travelling outside Europe, check the Foreign Office travel advice and take whatever precautions are suggested.

    With luck, if you take the right precautions, you should be able to avoid accidents but if you are unlucky, knowing that you have the right insurance and contact details should make things easier for you.

    Good luck!

  • Rachael Harris · 8 years ago

    Outside Europe make sure you're registered with the British Consulate, who can help in emergencies. 

    If stress is likely to be a problem for you, you might think about some ways of managing it. Some good websites: Living life to the full - http://www.llttf.com, Get some headspace - https://www.headspace.com, or http://bemindful.co.uk.

    And good luck, too.

If you would like to contribute to this question, please login or register.