Do you get an Erasmus grant if you are doing a work placement paid above €500?

Hi everyone :) My university is refusing to pay Erasmus grants for traineeships and placements paid above €500/month (including British Council Assistantships). As far as I can see on the internet, no other university in the UK has such kind of policy, but I cannot be 100% sure, so I'd really appreciate some help in gathering information about it. Is there anyone here who is doing a placement abroad next year paid above €500 and do you get a grant? Thank you very much in advance, I appreciate your help :)

This question was asked by Tanya Zhekova from The University of Glasgow , asked on 16th March 2015 and has been read 3186 times.

  • Tom Allen · 8 years ago

    I am currently working as a language assistant earning €800 a month. Despite this, I am still receiving the Erasmus grant. As far as I'm aware, no one was refused the grant based on earnings. I study at Cardiff Uni if that helps! 

  • Global Graduates · 7 years ago

    Here's the response from the British Council:

    "Due to budget limitations last year, some institutions included secondary criteria for providing an Erasmus+ grant. Some institutions did include the criteria that funding would not be awarded to students who are receiving €500 or above from their traineeship provider. Some other institutions were able to fully fund all traineeships, including those that pay a salary to a student, but others included the secondary criteria to provide as many fair and equal opportunities to participate in the Erasmus+ programme.

    If an institution does not provide funding to traineeship students who are receiving a salary, those students are classed as a zero grant student but can still participate in the Erasmus+ programme. This means the traineeship is still considered an Erasmus+ mobility, and the traineeship should meet a high standard and would still be monitored by the Erasmus+ team."

    I hope that helps!

If you would like to contribute to this question, please login or register.