Do I have to go?

Hi, I recently accepted an offer to go abroad to study in Ankara, Turkey, however I no longer want to go because my circumstances have changed..e.g. no money for visa or flight, partner university not responding to emails, placement tutor not responding to emails, no longer the path that I would like to choose. However, my university are telling me that I committed to travelling abroad so I now must go. I am sure this cannot be true because it should be my choice if I want to go or not and surely I can withdraw. Could you please tell me what you think of this situation? Thank you and kind regards.

This question was asked by Nabz Ch from Aston University , asked on 17th August 2014 and has been read 2047 times.

  • Bogi Szabo · 8 years ago

    You need to make an appointment to speak to your personal tutor, year abroad co-ordinator, or whoever is in charge of the study abroad programme. Explain your situation to them and see what alternatives they are able to suggest to you.

  • Lauren Stevens · 8 years ago

    I was really worried before my year abroad because I was supposed to work in a school and I heard very little from them before I arrived. Don't expect to hear back immediately, especially if you contact them during the summer holidays. If they don't tell you everything you need to know, don't worry, it will be sorted when you arrive.

    As for finances, I knew I needed some extra cash during my year abroad, so I worked two jobs the summer before and I decided to the English Language Assistantship to earn money and stay in Europe to get an ERASMUS grant. Having my student loan and grant alongside this money meant I had very few financial worries and I could afford to travel around to gain further experiences. Could you ask your university for financial support? My university has an emergency fund that you can apply for.

    I know its scary, but try not to give up on the idea just yet!

If you would like to contribute to this question, please login or register.