Did anyone get welfare support or mental health help on their year abroad?

Would like to know if anyone received support from their home or away universities whilst doing the year abroad or if that's not the done thing? Are services readily available? Where should you turn to for help? Do tutors or staff stay in contact to find out how you're doing during the year abroad and see if you're coping okay?

This question was asked by Amy Ashenden from The University of Southampton , asked on 8th August 2014 and has been read 2623 times.

  • Joachim Whaley · 8 years ago

    Your home university should continue to support you, if only with advice. And you will be able to contact your tutors, even if they do not automatically contact you. Many UK universities have designated year abroad tutors and some of these visit students abroad. Your host university will also have welfare etc offices, so check their website to see what is on offer. The local student organisation may also be able to help: find their details via the host university website.

    With luck you'll have a wonderful time and you'll come back with very happy memories and full of confidence.

  • Global Graduates · 8 years ago

    Hi Amy,

    It varies from university to university how often they check in during your year abroad, but there are some great resources you can use whilst you're away, if you're in need, such as the ones listed at the bottom of this blog post. 

    Also have a look at some of the tips on this question for coping with down days abroad. Hope that's helpful :)

If you would like to contribute to this question, please login or register.