Are there any grad schemes that want languages?

I've just graduated and I have no idea what I want to do, apart from go abroad and work using my languages (French and Spanish). I've done some teaching, interned at a publishers, written for my uni newspaper and am interested in most things, which seems to be the issue. There's so much out there, that either I can't find anything I'm interested in, or they want more specific experience than I have. I'm open to anything but I'm thinking about graduate schemes for next year, but all of the ones I've seen are in the UK and don't seem to specifically want linguists. Does anyone know of any that either involve a period abroad and/or employ linguists to use their language skills? I've thought of applying to generic ones and hoping they're impressed enough with my languages that they'll find some way for me to use them, but I'd be worried that that wouldn't happen and that I'd lose my skills. Any ideas, companies, schemes or anything regarding finding work abroad without a specialisation beyond languages would be really appreciated. Thanks!

This question was asked by Romy Higgins from The University of East Anglia , asked on 30th September 2015 and has been read 1638 times.

  • Emma · 7 years ago


    Have you thought about the civil service? You could look at graduate schemes with the foreign office and the EU which I'm sure would focus more on what skills you have than looking at specific experience, and your languages would certainly be of use there. Alternatively, if you were willing to invest in a TEFL course then teaching abroad could be a great way to live in a foreign country and get paid for it, and as you seem to have experience in the sector a career in journalism could allow you to live abroad or travel if you got into the right area of it.

    Hope some of that helped. :)

  • Romy Higgins · 6 years ago

    Thanks for the ideas, I hadn't thought of the civil service.  Those all sound like good options, it's just a case of finding the actual job adverts!

If you would like to contribute to this question, please login or register.