Inspire a Class!
This article was written by Global Graduates, published on 10th June 2015 and has been read 9131 times.
Many of you expressed an interest in Routes into Languages' Adopt a Class scheme, but were frustrated that there wasn't more scope to get involved. With that in mind, we've created the brand new Inspire a Class scheme in partnership with the British Council Schools team and Routes into Languages - but we need your help!
What is the Inspire a Class project?
Inspire a Class is a project to bring together year abroad students and secondary school pupils, via the medium of vlogs! The Inspire a Class project is designed to inspire secondary school students to:
- Learn a language
- Learn about another country
- Take part in international activities like school exchanges
- Realise that study abroad/work abroad are real possibilities
How can I get involved?
We'd love you to get involved and inspire a class! All you have to do is record a short vlog (about 3 minutes should do it!) to share with UK secondary school teachers and pupils. Post your entry on YouTube or Vimeo and email the link to [email protected], along with instructions for how it should be tagged (see below).
Your audience will be in Years 9-12 (14-18 years old) or younger, so please think about appropriate topics and language for that age group! You can choose whether you'd like to speak in English, or in the language of the country you're in.
Please provide the following details when you submit your vlog: Language, Placement Type, and City, which we will use to tag your video and make it more easily searchable. For example, 'John Smith is an Erasmus student in Paris, speaking French.'
When you submit your vlog, please indicate whether you're happy for your email address to be included in the bio so that schools can get in touch for more information!
Please help us to promote the scheme with the hashtag: inspireaclass
The aim is to give younger students a taste of what it's like to do a year abroad and why it's worthwhile!
Here are some topics you might discuss in your vlog:
- Current news from where you are
- Cultural differences and experiences
- Why did you choose this language/country?
- A day in the life
- Some details about where you live
- Interesting things you have found out about the language
- What do your parents/friends think?
- How are you financing this?
- What plans do you have for your future career – and what steps will you take to get there?
- How will you keep up your language(s)?
- Stories about people you have met
- Stories about experiences you have had/things you have done and seen
- Differences between school and university life
Inspire a Class videos
1. Naomi spent her year abroad working in Medellín, Colombia: 2. Laura spent her year abroad as a Language Assistant in Paris, France: 3. Tallulah spent her year abroad working as an English Language Assistant in Lille, France 4. Emily spent her year abroad as an English Language Assistant in Friuli, Italy 5. David spent a year studying Engineering in Dresden, Germany 6. Amber is currently a British Council Language Assistant near Córdoba in Spain Thank you so much for being involved, and please do email [email protected] if you have any questions!
If you would like to comment, please login or register.