Student Finance Travel Grants 2015/16

Student Finance Travel Grants 2015/16 Feeling lucky by Signature SugarArt

This article was written by Global Graduates, published on 15th April 2015 and has been read 65001 times.

Students planning on taking a year abroad can take advantage of funding and grants, whether you are working or studying abroad during your time away. As well as the Erasmus+ study grant, Student Finance maintenance and tuition fee loans and other sources of funding, Student Finance can also help you finance your travel on your year abroad, through their Travel Grant.

Travel grants are awarded to students who:

  • are in full time higher education 
  • are studying abroad as part of their course 
  • are receiving student finance that depends on their household income (e.g. Maintenance Loan or Maintenance Grant)

You must attend an overseas institution for at least half of each academic term. This period of study can be compulsory or optional. You can also get a travel grant if you’re on an Erasmus+ study or work placement. Other work placements don’t count.

1. Money

The amount you get depends on your total household income. This means your income, if you have one, combined with that of your parents or guardians, or spouse or partner if you live with them. Don’t count income from other family members you live with. You must pay the first £303 of your travel costs (or £309 for students from Northern Ireland) - and your travel grant will be reduced by £1 for each £8.97 of household income over £39,796.

Keep your travel costs as low as possible without being impractical (economy flights, etc.)

If eligible, you can claim for:

up to three return journeys between the UK and the overseas institution you are studying at during a full academic year abroad any travel costs associated with clinical training where attendance at a hospital or other premises is necessary the cost of a child/children’s fare between the UK and the overseas institution if it’s necessary for a lone parent who’s also a student to take them abroad mandatory medical insurance, visas and medical expenses for the purpose of studying abroad a rate of 24p per mile if you have to travel by car

2. Application process

Once you have applied for their student finance and you are eligible to apply for a Travel Grant, you will automatically be sent the correct forms to complete. If you're on a clinical placement in the UK, you must complete the Clinical Study Travel Expenses Form. If you are studying abroad, you must complete the Travel Abroad Expenses Form and get your university or college to complete the Course Abroad Form. You can apply for the Travel Grant at any time during the academic year and there’s no limit to how many forms you can submit.

3. Receipts and proof of purchase

You must provide evidence to support your claims for travel expenses. You’ll only get the full amount of Travel Grant if you send Student Finance England all the evidence they ask for. This must be photocopies of proof of payment, not just an itinerary or quote. For example, it could be an e-receipt for payment of flights. Receipts in a foreign language may need to be translated at your own cost.

4. When can you get a Travel Grant

Student Finance allocates grants on an ad-hoc basis, meaning you will receive payment as of when you incur travel expenses and apply for the grant, regardless of whether or not your student finance instalment has come through. Remember: there is no limit to how many travel forms you wish to submit.

For more information that's relevant to you, take a look at:

If you're preparing to spend time abroad, it's worth considering a Fair FX currency card instead of setting up a foreign bank account. Find out more!

If you would like to comment, please login or register.