Scholarship: Postgraduate study in Japan
This article was written by Global Graduates, published on 27th May 2015 and has been read 4700 times.
If you're a postgraduate looking for adventure, check out this fantastic opportunity to study in Japan!
1. Tell me about this opportunity!
The Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is offering scholarships to outstanding British graduates who wish to study at Japanese universities.
The MEXT scholarship programme is for a period of 18 months to 2 years and is awarded to UK graduates who wish to pursue independent research or enrol on a postgraduate course at a Japanese university.
2. What can I study?
Subjects are open to any discipline! However those who wish to study Law, Japanese History and Japanese literature must have high level of Japanese ability at the time of the application.
3. Am I eligible to apply?
In order to apply you must:
- Hold a UK passport
- Be a British postgraduate student
- Have a minimum 2:1 in final degree classification
Applicants over the age of 35 are asked to contact the Embassy of Japan before applying.
4. What does the scholarship cover?
The scholarship covers:
- All postgraduate tuition fees paid for
- A monthly allowance of 143,000 yen per month. This amount should cover living costs, including university accommodation, while in Japan.
- Return airfare from Japan (upon completion of their study)
- Japanese language courses will also be offered if your level is insufficient.
5. How many places are available?
The number of UK scholars varies from year to year depending on the year's budget of MEXT. To give you an idea, in 2014 there were 9 UK postgraduates accepted.
6. When is the deadline?
The MEXT postgraduate scholarship application deadline is usually early June for departure the following year. This deadline is strictly enforced and we are unable to accept any applications received after this time.
7. How do I apply?
For any questions about this opportunity please contact [email protected]. For more information and to apply for the scholarship, please click here.
If you would like to comment, please login or register.