10 benefits of having a foreign lover on a year abroad
This article was written by Global Graduates, published on 16th July 2015 and has been read 4558 times.
Heading out on a year abroad as a singleton? Here's why you should ditch the Erasmus lot and get mingling with the locals.
1. Each date doubles up as a tour of the best places to eat, drink and be merry.
2. The three magic words: enforced language practice. They may even find your errors endearing...
3. ... while you can mock them mercilessly for their terrible attempts at English. Hours of fun.
4. You'll gain street cred with your friends back home...
5. ... while your year abroad friends will be begging you to play matchmaker with all his/her mates.
6. You'll gain an extra family abroad (aka home cooked dinners, countryside escapes and backup when your landlord tries to con you out of your deposit).
7. It's a quick passport to acceptance into a local friendship group.
8. You'll get the insider perspective on all the crazy local traditions and cultural events.
9. They might have transport. Use them shamelessly for their vehicle.
10. Sweet nothings sound ten times better when whispered in a foreign language.
And if none of that was enough to convince you, remember this: if it all goes to pot in a couple of months, you have a bonafide reason to get out of there and never call them again.
If you would like to comment, please login or register.